Firstly let me apologizes for taking a very long break. Hope you all are doing great. The reason for my absence was a very enlightening journey into the world of Vipassana. I had been to Igatpuri, near Nashik for a 10 Day course in Vipassana. For those who don't know much bout it well it's not a journey into any religious realms nor is it about isolating one's self from the world around you by finding solace in meditation, it as i understood is about living in the present by understanding "Dhamma" the art of living. Also it is about understanding the true meaning of "Dharma" the universal laws of nature that are applicable for everyone.
Entrance of Igatpuri Vipassana Centre
ABOUT THE CENTRE
It is a beautiful place surrounded by panoramic landscape. Located within close proximity to Nashik this place exudes an air of tranquility. Founded by S.N.Goenka all courses at this centreare run solely on a donation basis. All expenses are met by donations from those who, having completed a course and experienced the benefits of Vipassana, wish to give others the same opportunity. Neither the Teacher nor the assistant teachers receive remuneration; they and those who serve the courses volunteer their time. Thus Vipassana is offered free from any commercialization.
Each individual is allotted residential quarters that are clean and well quipped with the basic amenities. The Males and Females have separate accommodation, cafeteria and meditation facilities. I had visited along with my Mom and on requesting was allotted a common room but with a stern warning that I was not to speak to her during the entire tenure of the course.There is hot water facility for stipulated time and 24hr water supply, 24hr electricity with backup, mosquito nets on the windows etc. I wasn't expecting a lot but with all these basic facilities in place I did not have a reason to complain regarding my accommodation.
I was irritated to the core since my backache had intensified and unfortunately my monthly menses started earlier, thereby further agitating me.By this time I was convinced this was an absolute time waste and sheer agony and wanned to bail out. But stubborn as I am I stayed put and decided on staying for a day longer. Again the daily discourse always uplifted my spirits and I knew I'd miss 'em if I left.
One of the landscape
The Pagoda with dhamma hall and shunyaghars.
- You are told to report by 2pm but people keep comming in till 7 so make sure you've had a nice lunch and also carry few snacks along with you for that day if you do get hungry.
- Carry all your essential medication along, also make sure to carry vitamin B capsules and gluconD along for weakness, Cold N Cough medicines, and massage oils /creams/ sprays for body pain, u'll need 'em. For women, do carry your sanitary napkins.
- Cameras, cellphones,laptops, MP3 or any reading or writing material is not allowed during the duration of the course.
- Laundry facility is available.
- Carry very comfortable clothing and you wont have time or inclination for makeup so just carry bare essentials from you makeup and skincare range.
For more information visit http://www.dhamma.org